As the State and local region continue experiencing exceptionally dry conditions during the current drought, Tuolumne Utilities District (TUD) would like to acknowledge its customers and the community for making water conservation a way of life and promotes water-conscious living.
At the July 13, 2021, TUD Board of Directors meeting, TUD staff reported on the current condition of its primary water supply reservoir Lyons Reservoir, which as of July 15th, is at 70% capacity. Recent hydrology models indicate that Lyons Reservoir will drop to a lower than optimal water level by early September this year. If customers continue to make conscious choices in the wise use of water, it may help alleviate the impacts of potentially decreased water levels and water quality this summer at Lyons Reservoir.
“We have seen our customers reduce their overall water use over the past decade. However, when asked during the last drought period 2014-15, our customers unselfishly took extreme measures to reduce their water use and have since made sensible water conservation a way of life. Additional water conservation is not currently required for us to meet our demands for business, agriculture, residential, environmental and fire suppression. We want to thank our customers for their continued efforts to use water wisely during this drought period,” states Don Perkins, Interim General Manager.
TUD customers may benefit by following some or all of these water use efficiency tips for treated water:
- Apply irrigation water during the evening and early morning hours (7 PM and 9 AM) – it is cooler and winds tend to be calmer so water can soak into the soil and be absorbed before it can evaporate.
- Check irrigation systems for leaks and make repairs.
- Adjust sprinklers to avoid runoff.
- Replace older sprinklers with high-efficiency rotary nozzles – this can improve your sprinkler system’s water efficiency by up to 30%.
- Use a broom to clean sidewalks and pavements instead of water from a hose.
- Inside your home: Fix a toilet leak – this can save up to 200 gallons of water per day.
- Operate your clothes and dishwashers with full loads only, even if the machine has an adjustable load setting.
More water use efficiency tips can be found at https://tudwater.com/conservation/.